Tips for Sellers
Spring is fast approaching. This is the time of year homeowners begin to think about selling their homes after a long winter. There will be more homes on the market, and hopefully more buyers, so your goal should be to make yours stand out and sell quickly at the best possible price. Here are some helpful tips to consider in preparing your home for sale.
1) Curb Appeal – the first impression as a buyer approaches your home. After you have completed your Spring yard cleanup, decide if shrubs need to be trimmed, then plant flowers that will bloom throughout the summer. Remember to keep the lawn manicured and driveway clean.
2) Exterior of the House – power wash the siding, porches and decks,
if necessary, scrap any peeling paint and repaint.
3) A Welcoming Front Entrance - make it shine with a good cleaning, then give the front door a fresh coat of paint in an accent color and add a plant or flowers.
4) Inside the House – clean, declutter, repair and revitalize. Make any necessary repairs around the house. Give the walls a fresh coat of paint in a neutral color. Clean and organize basement, garage and closets, discarding or storing items that are not needed. Removing a piece or two of furniture from each room will make the room appear larger. Clean carpets or if there are hardwood floors, in good condition under old carpet, consider removing carpet to expose wood floors. Clean windows and let the light shine in by opening shades or window coverings. Kitchens and bathrooms should be clean with decluttered countertops. Add some fresh new towels and a couple candles. Remember, pets and their odors are a definite deterrent to a prospective buyer.
5) Hire a Real Estate Professional – Choose a realtor who is familiar with your area and can assist you in setting the listing price for your home by offering information on recent sales of comparable properties. The realtor should offer a comprehensive marketing plan and you should feel comfortable that the realtor you select with negotiate the best selling price for your home.
If you're thinking of selling your home, give me a call to discuss other marketing strategies.
Want to know your home's value? Click here for a FREE home value report
Looking for Ulster County MLS listings? Search for Real Estate in Ulster County NOW